- Free Freeware
- Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
- Feb 18, 2014
- [+] More Details
A review of SelfImage by Sven Sørensen
SelfImage is a free utility which can create images from an entire hard drive or hard drive partitions. The copies it creates are identical.
The usage scenarios of programs like SelfImage are usually when migrating to new hardware but can also be helpful as a solution for backing up data instead of copying individual files.
SelfImage can copy logical partitions and can also copy the master boot record. It can copy partitions even while they are in use.
The program has been developed as an open souce project, but it is notable that SelfImage is able to take advantage of processor multithreading capabilities making its speed of operation rather fast.
Overall, SelfImage is a great tool for creating identical copies are partitions, useful for creating dual-boot systems.SelfImage features and highlights:
- Create 1:1 image files of any mounted (or unmounted on Windows 2000/XP) hard disk partition
- Can create an image of an entire hard disk, including the master boot record, partition table, and all partitions
- Restore previously created images to any partition, even mounted ones, as long as it doesn't have open files
- On-the-fly compression accelerated with parallel CPU support to take advantage of today's hyperthreaded, multi-core and SMP systems
- Skip reading a disk's "free space", treating it as if it were zero. This decreases the size of a compressed image and makes it process MUCH faster
- Available as an experimental BartPE plugin for use in boot/rescue CDs
- Network Block Device support to make images of disks on remote machines, and restore back to them
- Multi-threaded design for maximum throughput and low CPU overhead.
SelfImage is licensed as Freeware for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system / platform from backup software without restrictions. SelfImage 18.104.22.168 is available to all software users as a free download (Freeware).
This image creator software is filed under:
- SelfImage Download
- Freeware Backup Software
- Open source and GPL software
- Major release: SelfImage 1.2
Compatibility with this image creator software may vary, but will generally run fine under Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP on either a 32-bit or 64-bit setup. A separate x64 version of SelfImage may be available from Excelcia.
We have tested SelfImage 22.214.171.124 against malware with several different programs. We certify that this program is clean of viruses, malware and trojans. [Read more]